The Wharf at Woolloomooloo
Developed by Walker Corporation Limited and Multiplex as a Joint Venture
Architect: The Buchan Group
Project Value/Construction Cost
This major refurbishment of a heritage wharf in Sydney, was developed under a joint venture development agreement between Walker Corporation Limited and Multiplex. Walker Corporation Limited brought the development, design, approval and marketing expertise and Multiplex delivered the document and building expertise.
The existing wharf structure is 400 metres long and 63.5 metres wide.
The Wharf is a mixed-use development that features residential, hotel, retail/restaurants, marina, commercial space and carpark facilities.
Special Features & Innovative Techniques
- Adaptive re-use of a heritage wharf building
- Reconstruction of major structural elements within the heritage context, and building over the water provided particular complexities and challenges which were successfully overcome.
- A 100 year strategy for maintenance of the re-used wooden piles was prepared, to ensure the longevity of this wonderful new precinct.
- Lowering the aprin of the wharf and creating significant public open wharf space that provides continuous access to Sydney Harbour Foreshore, in line with the on-going strategy for opening up Sydney’s foreshores to the people of Sydney and visitors.
- Use of sonar technology to assess the existing strength of the wooden piles of the wharf
- Use of world’s leading technology for wrapping the piles in a polyeurethane skin to protect and enhance their life and ensure retention of their strength
- Modular technology used to create the floor levels of the building, using the existing structure
- Submerging of plant rooms due to the confined space in the building