"LA Walker Family Interests" means Walker Corporation Pty Ltd (ACN 001 176 263) as trustee for the LA Walker Family Trust and its Controlled Entities, Walker Corporation Pty Limited (ACN 001 176 263) Walker Group Constructions Pty Ltd ( ACN 097 303 716), Walker Group Holdings Pty Limited (ACN 001 215 069) and all related entities incorporated in Australia.
YOUR PRIVACY IS IMPORTANT TO US
The LA Walker Family Interests have always valued the privacy of personal information. From 21 December 2001 we are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and the National Privacy Principles ("Principles"). This new law sets out standards to be met in the collection, use, disclosure and handling of personal information. It is designed to protect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals by regulating the way personal information is managed.
In summary, the Principles define "personal information" as information or an opinion relating to an individual, which can be used to identify that individual.
This policy outlines how we manage the personal information we hold and it applies to all divisions and organisations comprising the LA Walker Family Interests, and to the trading and business entities.
WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
The type of personal information we may collect and hold includes (but is not limited to) information about:
- respective and prospective customers, clients, tenants and suppliers;
- job applicants, employees, and contractors; and
- other people who may come into contact with Walker Corporation or one of its associated companies within the group.
This information may be obtained by way of telephone, Internet enquiries or forms filled out by such individuals, face to face meetings, interviews, and telephone conversations or from a third party.
We may ask for other information voluntarily from time to time (for example, through market research or surveys) to enable us to improve our service or consider the wider needs of our customers or potential customers.
Exception in relation to Employee Records: The LA Walker Family Interests are not bound by the Principles in relation to the treatment of an employee's record, if the treatment is directly related to the current or former employment relationship between the company and the employee.
HOW DO WE USE THIS INFORMATION?
We collect a range of personal information about you to understand and meet your needs and provide the services and products our group of companies may offer.
We also collect personal information to be able to develop and identify products and services that may interest people, conducting market or customer satisfaction research, developing, establishing and administering alliances and other arrangements with other organisations in relation to promotion, administration and use of our respective products and services.
In general, the companies use personal information primarily for the following purposes:
- to market our property developments to existing and potential clients;
- to provide products or services that have been requested;
- to help us manage and enhance our products and services, including by analysing future customer needs;
- to communicate with clients and potential customers;
- to assess the suitability of prospective tenants and buyers of property;
- to provide ongoing information about our products and services to people that we believe may be interested;
- to comply with legal obligations; and
- to recruit employees and contractors.
TO WHOM MAY THIS INFORMATION BE DISCLOSED?
Our duties of confidentiality apply except where disclosure of personal information is with our client's consent or compelled by law, and, depending on the product or service concerned, personal information may be disclosed to third parties who we believe are necessary to assist us in providing, managing and administering the services we provide and product we are involved in. For example:
- other divisions or organisations within the group;
- joint venture/alliance partners who may wish to communicate about their services, products or promotional opportunities which may be of advantage to you, unless you tell us not to;
- service providers and specialist advisers who have been contracted to provide administrative, financial, research or other services;
- insurers, credit providers, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities as agreed or authorised by law;
- credit reporting, reference agencies or insurance investigators; or
- anyone authorised by an individual, as specified by that individual or the contract.
We require that organisations outside the LA Walker Family Interests that handle or obtain personal information as service providers to the LA Walker Family Interests acknowledge the confidentiality of this information, undertake to respect any individual's right to privacy and comply with the Principles and this policy. We also require that these organisations use this information only for our purposes and otherwise follow our reasonable directions with respect to this information.
If you do not provide the information requested, we or those involved with the provision of the service or product, may not be able to provide the appropriate type or level of service or product you require.
SENSITIVE INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO GREATER RESTRICTIONS
Some personal information that we collect is 'sensitive'. Sensitive information includes a person's financial details, racial or ethnic origin, religion, membership of political bodies or trade unions, sexual preferences or activities, criminal record and heath information.
The way we use tax file numbers and information received from a credit reporting agency about an individual is also restricted by law.
Sensitive information, specifically health information, may be relevant to applications by prospective employees and while consent will be sought before this is obtained, we may not be able to adequately assess candidates' suitability for some positions without this information.
The Principles require that sensitive information is used and disclosed only for the purposes for which it was provided, or a directly related secondary purpose, unless people agree otherwise or for other specific reasons such as if the use of disclosure of this information is required by law (for example, to prevent a crime or serious injury).
MANAGEMENT AND SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We have appointed a National Privacy Compliance Officer to oversee our management of personal information in accordance with this policy and the Commonwealth Privacy Act.
The LA Walker Family Interests trains its employees who handle information to respect the confidentiality of customer information and your privacy. The LA Walker Family Interests regards breaches of privacy very seriously.
SECURITY AND STORAGE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Safeguarding the privacy of your information is important to us and we endeavour to protect any personal information whether people interact with us personally, by telephone, mail, over the Internet or other electronic media. We hold personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper based files and other records and takes steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we achieve this are:
- confidentiality requirements on our employees;
- policies on document storage security;
- security measures for access to our systems;
- only providing access once proper identification has been given;
- controlling access to our premises; and
- website protection measures
The Principles also require us not to store personal information longer than necessary. Where we no longer require any personal information that we hold, that personal information is destroyed or details which may identify individuals to be removed.
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU
When you provide us with personal information about other individuals, we rely on you to make them aware that you will or may provide their information to us, the types of third parties we may disclose it to, the relevant purposes we and the third parties we disclose it to will use it for, and how they can access it (as described in this document). If it is sensitive information we rely on you to have obtained consent to the above. If you have not done either of these things, you must tell us before you provide the relevant information.
If you collect, use, disclose or handle personal information on our behalf, or receive it from us, you and your representatives must meet the relevant requirements of the Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 and only use and disclose it for the purposes we agree to.
HOW DO WE KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION ACCURATE AND UP-TO-DATE?
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up to date whenever we collect, disclose or use it. However, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible when there are changes in your contact details and personal circumstances. Our contact details are set out below.
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ACCESS THE PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU HELD BY US
Under the Principles, you have the right to obtain a copy of any personal information, which we hold about you and to advise us of any perceived inaccuracy. The exception under the Principles which affect your right to access your personal information we hold about you include:
- access would pose a serious threat to the life or health of any individual;
- access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- a frivolous or vexatious request;
- the information relates to commercially sensitive decision making process;
- access would be unlawful or denying access is required or authorised by law;
- access would prejudice enforcement activities relating to criminal activities and other breaches of law, public revenue, a security function, or negotiations with the individual; and
- legal dispute resolution proceedings.
To make a request to access information we hold about you, please contact us in writing. We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. We may charge a fee to cover the cost of verifying the application and locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested. If the information sought is extensive, we will advise the likely cost in advance and can help to refine your request if required.
WHAT IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT?
HOW TO CONTACT US
To contact us about a privacy related issue by e-mail, phone, facsimile or post:
- National Privacy Compliance Officer
- (02) 8273 9600
- (02) 9252 7400
- Postal Address:
- GPO Box 4073,
Sydney NSW 2001
UPDATES TO THIS POLICY