Built in 1915, The Finger Wharf, as it was then known, was the largest wooden structure in the world – over 400 metres long and 63 metres wide. The wharf had 60 years active service as a wool processing port and major hub for immigrants and sailors, but fell into disrepair and dereliction in the 1970s. The NSW Government decided in 1987 that demolition was the only option.
People were opposed to losing the wharf but no-one really knew what to do with it until we stepped in, acquiring the wharf in the early 1990s. Our vision was to restore the dilapidated structure and heritage elements, creating new amenity for residents, tourists and locals.
From 1996 to 1999 we invested $300 million revitalising the wharf as a dynamic mixed-use development, featuring 300 apartments, hotel, retail, restaurants, marina, commercial space and carpark. This sensitive renovation has attracted many awards, several for our technical ability to preserve and re-construct the major structural elements of the wharf, while meeting the challenge of construction over water.
A waterfront location that sits in one of the world’s most famous harbours, Woolloomooloo is an inner-city suburb 1.5km east of Sydney CBD. Today, the wharf is a renowned landmark and tourist destination.
- 300 residential apartments
- Marina, 6 restaurants, hotel with 104 guest rooms, commercial space and car park
- Heritage refurbishment
- 100 year maintenance strategy, incorporating leading technology to reinforce and assess the strength of wooden piles